Clean Keto Diet For An Improved Lifestyle
One of the most buzzing diet plans in the world of nutrition is Keto Diet. People who patterned their eating based on this are no stranger to the macronutrient's percentage rule — 70% fats, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrates.
A ketogenic diet is high in fat, moderate in protein, and very low in carbs. For the past years, various reports about its health benefits and harms have collided. Both are valid. Realistically, one-size-fits-all type diets do not exist. Drawbacks to particular diet strategies always exist for different types of people. Speaking with a professional will help you figure out what will work for you. However, as with certain other diet plans, the ketogenic diet has proven over time to have certain consistent benefits for the majority of people.
There are two types of this diet, the “dirty” and “clean” keto. One thing that defines the blurry lines about their differences is the quality of food. "Dirty keto" foods tend to be calorie-dense and less nutritious. In contrast, a clean keto diet mainly consists of whole, natural foods and, ideally, of organic components that are sustainably raised.
If you want to lose weight and gain mental clarity, then read up, as this diet might be for you1
How To Hit Ketosis
Attaining ketosis is a vital benchmark for obtaining the tonic effects of a clean keto diet. Ketosis is a natural state that occurs, a body’s natural reaction to help it survive when a person does not eat much. Within a period of ketosis, the body breaks down fats in the liver (called ketones) to produce energy. The effect of this process on your physical and mental health can become apparent once you reach an optimal ketone level.
Here are ways to help your body achieve ketosis:
- Control your intake of food rich in carbohydrates - Carbohydrate restrictions help you attain ketosis. Your body can become a fat-burning machine with a recommended intake of 15-30 grams of carbohydrates a day. You do not have to start your clean keto diet from scratch. You can start gradually by introducing to your diet a higher quantity of low carb vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, spinach, kale, green beans, peppers, zucchini, cauliflower, and celery.
- Mindful consumption of food rich in protein - Most people who ventured into the Atkins diet, which entails eating more proteins and fats, found this challenging. Looking toward a goal of ketosis, a protein intake of at least 0.7 to 0.9 grams per pound of bodyweight is advisable. For this, you can consume grass-fed beef, chicken thighs, salmon, tuna, shellfish, eggs, bacon (in moderation), full-fat Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. Clearly, plant-based eating makes the protein requirement a bit more challenging, but not impossible (see article here).
- Take advantage of food rich in healthy fats - No need to worry much about your fat intake on a clean keto diet as your body in a state of ketosis uses fats to produce energy. Many people who want to lose weight choose keto for the reason that it does not demand that fats be cut out or drastically reduced. Clean keto fatty foods that you can eat include grass-fed butter, ghee, avocados, coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, sesame oil, and walnut oil.
- Stay Hydrated- Make sure you do not lose track of your water intake. A gallon of fluid a day is advisable to help you stave off hunger before meals. It is also beneficial in regulating temperature and maintaining bodily functions. You can also boost your keto beverage game by making nutritious smoothies that provide nutrition and help you lose weight.
- Stop snacking and start stretching and moving- Insulin spikes that the body experiences from eating regular snacks can slow your weight loss journey. So work on limiting the frequency of your food intake. Instead of snacking, try mindfully moving to improve your mood and energy level -- stretch your body all over, for 20 to 30 minutes per day, to stimulate circulation and improve feelings of well-being.
What To Eat During a Clean Keto Diet?
If you just started your Keto journey and feel swamped with requirements of the diet plan, no need to fret because most people who embark on this feel the same way in the beginning, too. Below is a sample of clean keto reset recipes for a day. You can apply changes in stages, to eventually add up to that total life change that you aspire. It doesn’t have to be “all or nothing”.
Clean Keto Breakfast
This Avocado and Salmon Low Carb Meal is perfect to start your day.
Salmon is one of the clean keto diet-friendly foods. It is rich in B vitamins, potassium, and selenium, yet virtually carb-free. Avocado also contains high healthy fats. This recipe can give you this macronutrient value: 48 grams of fat, 19 grams of protein, and 4 grams of carbohydrates.
- 1 ripe organic avocado (about 100 grams or 2.5 oz)
- 60 grams (2 oz) of wild-caught smoked salmon
- 30 grams (1 oz) of fresh, soft goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- a pinch of Celtic sea salt
- Cut the avocado in two and remove the seed
- In a small food processor mix the rest of the ingredients until coarsely chopped.
- Place the resulting cream inside the avocado.
- Serve immediately.
Clean Keto Lunch
Radish is a good source of vitamin C, folate, and vitamin B12. It is also rich in potassium, magnesium, and manganese that helps regulate blood pressure, brain, and nerve function.
It also contains half glucose, fructose, and fiber, making it a perfect addition to your clean keto diet food list. This Roasted Radishes and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon recipe can be your best lunch buddy! Brussel Sprouts also contain about 4.5g net carbs per cup. Through this meal, you can receive these macronutrients: 11 grams of fats, 4 grams of protein, and 6 grams of carbohydrates.
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts quartered and outer layers, peeled
- 1 bunch Radishes, halved
- 4 strips Bacon sugar-free, no nitrates
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400o F
- Line a large baking sheet and lay your bacon strips
- While baking the bacon, toss your brussels and radishes with avocado oil, sea salt and black pepper.
- Once your bacon is cooked, put your veggies in the same sheet so as to add flavor to them.
- Once the veggies are cooked, chop your bacon into small pieces and mix them all together.
Clean Keto Dinner
Meatballs are low-carb and keto-friendly. This recipe will save your dinner as it is easy to prepare and still provides these macronutrients: 38 grams of fat, 26 grams of protein, and 17 grams of carbohydrates to sustain your diet.
For the meatballs
- Nonstick spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- One 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1¼ cups chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 4 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, for serving
1 recipe Cauliflower Rice
For your meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and add some nonstick cooking spray.
- In a pan, heat your olive oil and add your onions and garlic
- Transfer your onion and garlic in a pan and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Mix your ground chicken, parsley and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make small meatballs and bake for 17 to 20 minutes.
For your sauce:
- Combine your coconut milk, parsley, scallions, garlic clove, zest and juice of lemon in a food processor. Wait until you achieve a smooth consistency. Season with salt and black pepper.
On your serving bowl:
- Add your cauliflower rice and top it with meatballs and sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley and red pepper flakes for added flavor.
Is a Clean Keto Diet Right For You?
Understandably, a "dirty keto" diet plan brings a higher level of convenience. However, nothing worthwhile comes easy, and clean eating, while more labour-intensive, is far better for your health and well-being in the long term. With keto, a strict approach does obtain much better results, and shortcuts can bear dangers. Preparing healthful meals yourself, instead of relying on convenience foods, will greatly help you obtain keto’s potential benefits.
Perhaps a clean keto diet may work for you -- many people have successfully used this strategy as a short term weight loss plan, and found that it was fairly easy to follow as they enjoy consuming the types of high-fat and animal-based foods that are allowed. Some doctors, however, have expressed concerns about possible long-term negative effects of diets that are high in fats and animal products. Before embarking on a keto diet, do your research, and seek guidance from health professionals that understand your particular needs and challenges.